Sunday, February 15, 2009

Wots a word worth?

The most difficult thing I always find is naming something. The mere act of giving this blog a name took 17 years with very little sleep , no food and much trauma. How could a name be witty and subtle at the same time , have clear meaning, be enigmatic , and emerge as a dazzling "BlogNom"?
Over the 17 years I became very disappointed in the good folk of the internet. I expected there to be an "automatic blog name generator" - you know , you just whack in a couple of random words and whammo - you get the perfect blog name! No such thing exists. The internet was invented to help us increase our laziness and I have discovered a gap.
In the end I had to go to the Oxford English Dictionary seek guidance from the grandaddy of ' user generated content". Luckily by the time I was wading through "V" I was able to find some inspiration. The word "vimineous" is now rare in use - (which anticipates the future of this Blog) and means:
1. Made of pliable twigs or wickerwork.
2. Bot. Producing long, flexible shoots or twigs.

So welcome to this rare, pliable and far reaching gathering of twigs!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm I thought viminousity meant the affect, that the cleaning product Vim left on table tops etc when not cleaned off properly, on your ability slide mugs on that surface

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vim is also the name of one of my favorite racehorses. A little known fact Vim and his full brother, oddly enough named Vim's Brother finished 1st and 2nd in a race at Sandown one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the techie side - vim is the name of my favourite text editor! :-)

    ReplyDelete